October! Its a month of spooky stuff, football games and, because it is National Fire Safety Month, fire prevention. I took a very unofficial Red Cross poll of staff and volunteers across the Midwest, and they ranked the following songs as the best fire songs of all time.
10. Rooms on Fire by Stevie Nicks – “Every time that you walk in a room” in your home remember the two ways to escape in case of a fire. Everyone in the family should know this for every room in your home.
9. Fire by the Pointer Sisters - Fire can “have a hold on you right from the start”, so in case of a fire… Get out, stay out and call 9-1-1.
This timeline from a very talented volunteer shows the Red Cross disaster timeline perfectly. His subject matter? The November 17th tornadoes that devastated parts of Illinois.
All September, the Red Cross talks about preparedness. We tweet it, we preach it, and, yes, sometimes we even pin it. Whatever it takes, we want you to be prepared for anything that comes your way.
Now, you may be thinking, “I only pin recipes, fashion options and craft ideas I will never actually do. Is there even preparedness stuff on there?” And to that question we say, “Why yes there is!”
Zombie apocalypse? Got it covered!
1. You become a pin hoarder.
2. You spend way too much money on a clothing item just because there is a Red Cross on it.
September is kind of a blah month if you think about it. The summer is unofficially over and no holidays September offers can compare to the ones ahead. So in sympathy to this “meh” month, I have compiled a list to quite possibly make this the BEST. MONTH. EVER!
1. Lose the clutter. Summer is full of fun activities, so it is easy to let the stuff pile up. Take a weekend to tidy up and get organized before school gets in full swing and the holidays arrive. Also, without all the access stuff, you will be able to find the perfect place to put this…
So I was challenged, and because my son was gone last night and my boyfriend would have thought I was insane, I decided that I would take the #IceBucketChallenge at work. Originally, I only asked 2 people to help — one to dump and one to film — but low and behold, we had helpers coming out of the woodwork to assist. Maybe it was because they are just nice people… or possibly it was to deliver some payback??
I will let you be the judge. (Because, of course, someone else decided to film it on his phone. WARNING: His cell didn’t sync the action with the voices.)
That was my dear friend that thought we didn’t have enough ice in the bucket.
Read the rest of this entry
1. They love when they get a call that wakes them up in the middle of the night.
2. Being “chained to a desk” is one of their favorite parts of the week. Read the rest of this entry
Crop tops? Skinny jeans? Jungle print blazer??? Sometimes it is hard to know what fashion trend to wear. To help you answer that question, here are a few fashion-forward Red Crossers modeling the fashion rules that will never go out of style.
1. Wear classic colors. When in doubt, get it in black! Whether in the field or at a business fair, basic black is timeless and suitable for any occasion.